So tonight I tried out a recipe from 200 Light Slow Cooker Recipes by hamlyn. I must admit I was a bit dubious about this one but it was delicious, and there is plenty left over for tomorrow’s lunch! Slow cookers are great for busy lifestyles as you can leave your food to cook whilst you go about your day to day life.
Calories per serving: 375
Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6-7 Hours
- 500g Unsmoked Gammon Joint, trimmed of fat
- 625g Baking Potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks
- 200g Small Shallots, peeled
- 3 Carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 Celery Sticks, thickly sliced
- 1 Large Leek, thickly sliced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 200ml Dry Cider
- 200ml Hot Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- Rinse the gammon joint with cold water and place in the slow cooker pot with the potatoes. Arrange the shallots, carrots, celery and leek slices around the gammon, then tuck in the bay leaves.
- Pour the cider and the chicken stock into a saucepan, and then the cloves and mustard powder, then season with pepper. Bring to the boil, then pour around the gammon. Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours until the gammon is cooked through.
- Cut the gammon into pieces and serve in shallow bowls with the vegetables and stock.